Thursday, February 28, 2008

Round and Round We Go



Round and Round We Go
Rated E--everyone
In Enid we worked very closely with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and I loved it!! Nothing like needing help and having the Calvary show up. These are some of the neatest men I had ever worked with. They were in a league of their own. So when they ever needed help you better bet we ran to their aid. They just don't ask for help very often, well not unless they just wanted to visit later maybe. Anyway, one of my very favorites was Joe T. Joe was a big ole guy with not one ounce of fat on him. He was probably about 6'3" lean, mean, fighting machine. He had coal black hair with a streak of white that made him almost look like a skunk!!! But you did not dare make fun of him (oh yes I did!!!!) One night Joe called in pursuit of a drunk and asked if there was a PD unit available to help in the area of 100 E. Elm. I was in the area so I ran over there. I asked him where he was, you know what direction had they taken, so I could try to catch up with them. He said at the M&M Bar. I was en route when I heard him say "we are going around the M&M bar." OK??!!! Isn't that where he just said they were? They have not gotten very far...I was very close to the area and so when I got there I could hear the siren and saw this OHP Trooper, bright red lights in the night and sirens loudly blaring, driving at a very slow rate of speed, chasing this old beater of a car "around" the M&M Bar. Not quite sure what I could do to help this situation (especially since I was laughing, hard to drive and laugh your butt off at the same time!) so I just stayed in place to see which direction the suspect might go. Then he starts back around the bar again! It is so funny, I just sit there and watch this "pursuit" and listen to Joe call out his pursuit. "Headquarters I am in pursuit of Oklahoma tag ****** at 100 E. Elm" "we will be going around the M&M Bar" silence for just a moment and then you hear,"headquarters we are going around the bar again" Silence on the radio, but I am watching the whole thing from the street. You see this is a little hole in the wall bar with a dirt alley beside it and a little parking lot to the east of it. And you have this Highway Patrol Car with all its lights and loud siren, going at a very slow rate of speed following this old clunker of a car and the guy just keeps driving around and around and around the bar. Patrons come out because of the noise but stay out of the way. Finally the man just stops in the alley. I think he must have gotten dizzy! Really he ran out of gas! The poor little dog in the back seat was thrilled the ride was over. The driver went to jail for DUI. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Another great night of fighting crime!!!!

No comments: