Monday, May 26, 2008

How was your weekend?

Mine was great, how was yours?
As you know I have been very busy with keeping the grand kids so that my step-daughter could go to Florida to have some couple time with her husband. They have been separated since December due to his being in the Navy. So with that going on and the stay being extended then my son and daughter n law came home for Memorial weekend, I have been busy. I have been so caught up with my time with the baby, then pass her off only to come home, make a grocery list, hit the store, come home clean house, stash baby stuff, start cooking and finish yard work. It has been crazy!
TJ and Amanda made it to our house by 10:00 Friday evening. They said the traffic was very light, and they made good time coming from North East Texas (Tyler) to Tulsa. I was so glad to see them. We stayed up for a while talking, trying to get the dogs to settle down, and showing them the house we have been living in for the past 9 months. It was so good to see them.
Saturday started off with getting up late, eating breakfast and getting ready for the big family gathering. We had company coming by noon, with burgers needing to be done by 12:30 or so. We fixed cherry salad, burgers, chips, soda, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs, banana cake, chocolate Bavarian cream cake, better than sex in a pan(don't ask!), homemade ice cream and strawberry/rhubarb pie. You sure can't say us Oklahoma women don't know how to throw a cookout. We had a lot of people here and even surprised my aunt and uncle who just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. We had a copy of my dad's movie from their wedding converted to dvd and just popped it into the tv and let it start playing. No warning, no prep, just did it. They were soooo shocked, pleased, excited, surprised, thrilled and they loved it. That was fun.
People hung out here for about four or five hours and we all visited nicely. It was a great time. We had aunts and uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins, and even friends came to the cookout that served many purposes. To see TJ who has not been to Tulsa for nearly two years, share with my aunt and uncle their happiness, and of course to celebrate Memorial Day. We had 25 people here at my tiny house and it was great. The food was good, the weather was good, the company was good, what more could we have asked for?
Sunday was spent going out to my parents so they could visit with their grandson and Amanda a little more. They did not get to spend much personal time with them on Saturday. We took brisket and the trimmings out to their house to share in a nice simple meal with them. That was nice. We sat around talking, just spending good quality time with each other. We drove around some after leaving there, headed to wal-mart to pick up a couple things and then go back to the house. The kids went to rent some movies. We watched "Mad Money" and that was cute. Of course I had to show Amanda my Webkinz and we played on the computer with them. We adopted a couple more that I had just gotten for my birthday for I am as bad as any kid when it comes to these silly things. I do enjoy my webkinz. Of course we needed to try out a couple more new recipes of homemade ice cream and I highly recommend it! It was a great success. Plus salad and grilled chicken breast . No wonder I am big as a barn!
Monday came all to fast. The kids slept in once again, and I slept on the couch. We had storms come through and my little Callie (dog) is scared of storms. I knew she would either scratch at the door all night or wake TJ and Amanda so I got up with her. My big brave protector is terrified of thunder. Oh well, that's ok. We all have our weaknesses, I'm not telling mine! After a breakfast of pancakes and some more talking, the kids decided they had to head home. TJ had to be at work by 8:30 tonight, and at work tomorrow for them both in the morning. I had bought them a bunch of meat at a big meat sale at our local grocery store so they loaded up the ice chest with about 13 lbs of hamburger meat, five or six huge roast, and they seemed pleased with it. They packed their clothes, loaded up the truck and decided it was time to say goodbye. We hugged, kissed, said I love you and they were gone. I was so busy all weekend, I am worn smooth out, my house, laundry , dishes are all needing to be done. And with it all, I did not get my camera out one time. I planned to, I even took it with me with plans to take the kids to my favorite place and snap a couple shots (that didn't work out) so all I have are the memories. And that is ok, because I have great memories. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures, but I guess there are other things more important, being a good hostess, being a good mom, and just spending TIME with my son.
Thank you Amanda for the great birthday card and gift of my favorite things, snack food and a movie (Steel Magnolia's) Life is good!


Mental P Mama said...

Sounds great! And I want those cakes. But the big diet starts today, so I'll have to wait.

Debbie in NC said...

I'm exhausted from YOUR weekend! Sounds like a great time was had by all and I especially liked the DVD idea for parent's Anniversary! That's cool! I have had one of those players that converts VHS to DVD for like 5 years now and still haven't tried it...sigh....

Hey..get a little rest girl and I think of you every day watching the weather!!!!!

Jessica said...

You have been soo busy. I completely understand how the kids can cause blogging and everything else to be hard.

On the baby screaming thing, I really do think they grow out of it but man is it hard until then.

Memaw's memories said...

You were as busy as we were. I had 33 at my house for food and visiting on Saturday. We sat around Holiday Inn's pool with family Sunday afternoon, and I had all my pine trees cut Monday. Back to work on Tuesday. Keeping the youngest grandchild til Monday so the kids could take a much needed vacation. Whew. Who knew you could have this much fun this old?

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

How was my weekend? It was awesome. Last week was pretty miserable because so many of us were SICK and I thought everyone was now healthy.. and tonight.. I have the sniffles. Sorry.. just sharing! lol

You sound like you had a very good weekend. I'm glad for you!!