Sunday, November 4, 2007

Funny things

I was sitting here thinking about the dogs that are snoring behind me. Yes, it is them snoring, not another weird sound coming from "behind" me. I was thinking about a few years ago when Beth wanted to get a dog. I told her ok, and she was trying to decide between a boxer or a bassett. I encouraged the boxer. So she went about trying to find one. We drove an hour and half away to look at some six week old puppies but they just didn't hit the spot with her. She had gone and looked at some older puppies that were near our home and asked me to stop by with her to look again. These puppies were almost 11 weeks old. Not the little six week type. But she asked me to look anyway. When we arrived Beth told me there was one puppy that she was interested in and what did I think. She had found this really cute brindle female puppy. How could you not love her. We took her home. Beth named her Zoe. Zoe was and still is one of the best dogs I have ever been around. Now on the other hand when "I" pick out a dog we do not have the same luck. I tend to find the dumbest, most untrainable, retarded dog in the universe. That is my luck. But she on the other hand is a great "picker". Read on for more.

I have noticed I sometimes say things that embarrass my daughter . Let me explain.....

One day we were out looking for shoes. She needed shoes like she needed another hole in her head. But we were looking anyways. We went into a really nice store in the mall. Not a cheap shoe store, no this was one of those stores that it hurt when you walked in and about killed you by the time you walked out (if you are the momma paying for things). Well she had picked out a pair of shoes called Dr. Martin's. As I was talking to the sales person I was trying to make conversation while she looked. Now mind you this is a young person about her age, not mine. So I am trying to be the cool mom out showing my daughter a good time. While we were talking I asked if those shoes were the bi-sexual kind of shoes. Beth about died. I couldn't figure out what the deal was. All I was trying to do was figure out is if those shoes worked for both men and women. I thought Beth was going to melt into the floor. She was trying not to laugh, while disappearing. And she was trying to get out of the store as quickly as possible. I could not figure out what was wrong with her. I exited fairly quickly trying to catch up with my daughter and find out what in the world was wrong with her. When she finally got out of sight of her young salesperson, she turned to me and said Mom, those are unisex shoes, NOT BI-SEXUAL. oh, oops I said. I guess I lost the vote for cool mother of the year with her.

Ok, I was feeling pretty bad about my mouth getting me in trouble. It happens once in awhile with me. But one day as the Good Lord would have it, my daughter did one just as good. We were at the grocery store, yes, buying groceries. She was helping me, or rather was just with me. I told her to go pick out something, I don't remember, it was either apples, fruits or vegetables something that was not canned!! I remember she spent a lot of time trying to pick out just the right one. Of course picking fresh produce means you must look it over, squeeze it a little and of course SMELL it. She gathered her findings and proudly brought them to me. Trying to be a good encouraging parent I told her those were really good ones. She said "yes mom,I have a good nose for pickin'". I stopped, looked at her and just busted out laughing. She looked at me for a second, realized what she said and we laughed the rest of the way through the grocery store getting our stuff. I am not sure how many other people heard her announce her nose picking abilites but looking back, it still makes me laugh right out loud (lol?) maybe you would just have had to be there. But think about it.....A Great Nose For Pickin'. It doesn't get much funnier than that when your daughter makes fun of you and bi-sexual shoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What on earth does me picking my nose have to do with getting just the right dog??? And Snidely is NOT retarded....

Lisa said...

You are just good at picking things? Good grief, do you not get it, the theme. Picking things. You picked the right puppy, and the right produce. You just have a nose for picking. Dah!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I loved the stories. You write very well. I wish I could get one of those badges.

Beth,
Get over it!!!!!!! And stop picking your nose.LOL