Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving


I hope that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am leaving in the morning to keep the grand kids for a couple days. My son-n-law and daughter have to travel to the City to attend a mandatory Banquet for his Navy duties. We were surprised they were doing this the week of Thanksgiving with the kids still in school. But it is what it is. I am so proud of Chris. He has been one of the top recruiters in this area since he was transferred here. We are so very proud of him. Not everyone can do recruiting and here he has just done a tremendous job outdoing so many all across this nation. I am ....WE are so very proud of him. So I do not mind leaving my home right here before Thanksgiving to go keep the kids. We will be fine.

If you have not heard, my dad and brother had an accident of sots this past week. Mike was trying to secure a tree stand for deer hunting. He was testing out the ladder from what I understand and found that it was NOT secured. He has hunted all his life and has never had an accident. He teachers hunter safety courses, he is very careful, very professional and we don't know what happened. But the ladder collapsed. He feel 10-13 feet, he was not all the way up to the tree stand, and the ladder came lose and hit my dad in the head. Dad was not knocked out believe it or not, and Mike was hurt by landing on his back. But it did not break any bones. Mike was finally able to get up and saw my dad was hurt so they made it back to the truck where Mike drove them to his house. Now understand he lives WAY out in the sticks. So he called my uncle who came to rush them to Urgent Care. That is a lot closer than the hospital and honestly, probably quicker and easier. They were treated, x-rayed, cleaned up and drugged up and then told to go home. Dad went back a couple days later to have a follow up and really is feeling fine. Mike has been really hurting with his back, but I think he is going to live. Sucks to get old, and really sucks to fall out of a tree while you are getting old. Sorry Mike, but the truth sometimes hurts too!


Here is dad at Urgent Care:
Dad the next day:




And Dad a couple days later:
I didn't get a picture of him today. But you would not believe how much better he looks. I just love all the color on his face. Ha Ha Ha...Halloween is over dad, you missed it by about three weeks!!!! What do you get when you cross a raccoon with Frankenstein???? My DAD !!!


I had planned to cook Thanksgiving for Beth and her friends. Don't know if that is going to be the plan now or not. I am tired. I am not sure if her friends are going to show up, and honestly, I would rather have dinner than lunch. So I think I will fix dinner here and if she wants to come over then fine. I love....LOVE getting up and watching the Macy Day Thanksgiving Day Parade. It seems that since the noon meal comes at NOON, it takes all morning to cook and get everything ready. I think this way, I can get up, take my time, and just have dinner. My son is hunting these past few days with his dad a couple hours away and I had hoped he would come over on his way home to see me. But I guess that is not to be the case. It is so hard having him live so far away. I know that it could be worse, but I so miss him. He,being all guy, just doesn't understand how that feels...but then again, he isn't a momma now is he? So he may NEVER understand those feelings..ha .


I am planning on doing some Black Friday shopping. I always have enjoyed doing my shopping then. But that was also when I had money. I will tell you this retirement stuff is just not paying the bills. We have always been so blessed, and plus I worked three job (my choice and my love ) so now it is sure different. Plus having to help my daughter who still does not have a paying job, pay her bills plus ours and now the renter has not been able to pay his rent. Good grief. I can NOT support three people. I am even paying his electric bill because he was suppose to change it over this month and that has not happened. He has three young girls, their mother left them, (she has an alcohol problem) and he has been in the hospital with pneumonia. I feel very sorry for him, but I just can't pay his bills too. Know what I mean. Life is sometimes very complicated. But I also feel it is the "right" thing to do by helping this man who is trying very hard to take care of his girls. He is renting Beth's old house for his dad and mom live next door. They were always very good neighbors to my daughter so I am trying to return the favor. So if you are saying a prayer today, would you please include my family and that maybe things will settle down a bit.

Now for a bit more sad news. My mom's brother (yes, my uncle) is not well. He is diabetic and has about everything wrong with him that you can have. He is refusing treatment and the doctor says he won't make it another six months. He is refusing dialysis so I am guessing it won't take a very long time before the toxins will build up in his body and things will shut down. He is about 71 or 72 and has been in ill health for quite some time. I feel badly for my mom for she has lost all of her family except for him. I know it is a part of life and she does too, but it still will not be "easy" to go through.


Ok, enough of all that. I am looking forward to making some pies, cooking a ham and a turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, dressing, a couple salads, and of course pumpkin and pecan pie. That is enough. I don't feel the need to make a hundred different dishes and especially if I am not feeding an army. I just want to have a quiet, peaceful, relaxing, low key Thanksgiving and be thankful that we can!



Have a great one and I will talk to you all soon......but if not....have a wonderful holiday and be safe.



Love to all my friends,


Lisa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You remind me of myself...
My husband hunts and I always worry when he goes up and down the trees!
Your dad's injuries look awful, but Thankfully it was not worse,still scarey though. Hope your brother is doing ok! <>< and here is a little prayer for your uncle, it is so sad to see family dwindley down, and yet life goes on,but it's not the same.
Hope you have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

claudia said...

Oh my goodness your dad is a colorful sort! I am so happy that he and Mike are okay. (Except for Mike's back) I hope that straightens out for him soon! It scares me when my dad does something that he is getting too old for! (He's 87 and still thinks going on the roof is okay!) I keep telling him that he has son in laws and grandsons for that reason...do you think he'd ask for help...?

I hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful one! I am cooking here for me and the girls. Their dad may (or may not) stop by. He's still always too busy to take time for the girls! Thank goodness they are in their twenties and don't care "as much".

Mental P Mama said...

I am sooooo glad they are okay. And, um, you do too much. Let your children take care of you all! I know you won't though...so, Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

Marge said...

I have a great idea! Let's put our daughters together and tell them to just do it......and we'll go on a nice long trip together! Those girls of ours are costly, aren't they!

Oh, Lisa, your dad's injuries look awful. I pray he is recovering and that there are no lasting problems. What a scary thing to have happen.

I think I have all the groceries for our dinner (yes, I do dinner too!) and now I just need to clean house and do some baking. Can't get moving for some reason today, but with 22 coming on Thursday I guess I should get going!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving dear friend......see you in a bit over a month!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.