Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31, 2010

Welcome 2011
Happy New Year
What an exciting year it has been. I have not written in quite some time and I am happy to say that this year has been a blessing. We have been in good health, lost no one to death, and things have really just been a great year.
In the start of the year I really can't remember any thing exciting taking place. It seems my life just goes along day in and day out. We were getting a bit stressed out with our house renter in OKC not paying and was behind over 3,000 dollars. But we put the house on the market and sold it the first week. We did not make a profit, might even have taken a loss, but we are out from under the payment, one less stressor and hopefully the taxes won't kill us. Beth found a job and a boyfriend but both of those items caused stress, one being the job fairly far away and cost a small fortune in gasoline and the boyfriend just did not turn out to be a good one. She got rid of him. As spring came along Beth decided to move to the town in which she was working, found a rent home and we got her moved. She had been renting from a family member in S.S. and it was best that she move on for her values did not meet the same standards as the owner (or her mother) and it has been again a great blessing that she moved. She is now less than two miles from her work in a really cute and energy efficient home. She has found another boyfriend and as I do really like him, not sure he is going to be the husband material that she is hoping for. He is a cute, funny, nice guy and I have gotten attached to him and his beautiful daughter, but he and Beth are going to have to make some changes in their lives and get on the same page in order to make a relationship work long term. Beth did graduate from OSU/OKC with two associate degrees and I am very proud of her for that. She is now finishing up with her bachelors and hopefully will do so quickly. School has become a part of her life that needs to be over with!
Stress occurred with our step daughter and her family, but we pray that all will work out. We fear that she and her husband will divorce, it is playing out day by day and we don't know what the future holds. But they are both wonderful people, have much to offer this world, and by marrying young life has offered many changes. Being in a military life does not help either with all the moving and not being able to set down roots. We see the grandkids as often as we can and watching our little Allie grow up has been such a blessing. She is over three years old now and moved here when she was just a mere two months old. She has been a grandma's girl till this past summer and then she really became clingy to her momma. Made me sad, but she still loves me. We don't know if they will stay another year or move with daddy when he takes his next assignment. Only time will tell the outcome of all of that.
TJ and Amanda are going through life as a very active couple. They love to hunt, fish, attend basketball and baseball games in Dallas. TJ works very hard and many part time jobs beside his police work. Amanda has a very nice job at the bank and she seems to be loving it. I believe she just recently got a promotion and it is always nice to be recognized for a job well done. They also decided to take on a big deer lease in West Texas where they can go and get away for a bit. They have taken a couple big deer from there and just enjoy the time together and getting away. No talk of children from them but that is no big deal. They understand that children will change their lives and until/if they are ready for that huge commitment they are wise to not have kids just because everyone else is or that is what the "grandparents" want. I think they really enjoy being able to go and play as much as they do....kids will certainly stop and change that.
This summer came a heart breaker for us. On June 4th we lost our beloved Zoe who had just turned 10 years in May. She had been the most wonderful companion we could have ever asked for. She was great with the grandkids and she also blessed us with a little of beautiful puppies in which we kept two. Our dogs are not pets, they are our family and losing Zoe to cancer caused me much grief. But it happened and it will happen two more times as our puppies are turning six on the 13th of January, 2011. This summer did bring us one of the greatest times with friends that we have had in ages. Our very dear friends from Texas brought their four children to our home for the 4th of July. We had just finished remodeling our kitchen and we were anxious to see how well it worked. It passed with flying colors. Cara and her family spent about four days with us and we were able to bond with the kids to the point they seem like my very own grandkids. If we lived closer I assure you Cara would have a hard time keeping them home for I would be having them here quite often. They live about 10 hours away I think and that is a pretty long drive. We ate a lot of good food, we fished, and created monsters over the fireworks. My heart was just filled with joy!
We also got to spend time with another very dear couple. Mike a retired police officer that worked many years with me, had moved to Georgia and married a wonderful lady that is like a sister to me. They traveled here and spent some time with us before heading to Enid for his parents 60th wedding anniversary. Scott and I went with them to help and of course I wanted to take pictures. We just are so blessed when we get to spend time with Mike and Nancy. Three more years and she will retire, we are planning a cruise together and hoping they will move close to us. There is some serious talk about it.
Scott and I then late August, opened our home to a 15 year old young man from Texas to come and live with us. My son had met Todd "professionally" and asked me if I would take him in. I said are you crazy? Then as he explained the boys parents were both in prison and he needed a home for the state did not take custody of him. The "lady?" he was living with had kicked him out and the boy was house hopping trying to find a place to lay his head at night. He has been such a blessing in our lives. Oh let me assure you it has not been without stress, some arguments, and a lot of talks....but this young man has changed his life in so many ways it would take me pages to write it all down. I am so proud of him. He has attended school with 100%, (has not attended regularly in the past three years!) his grades are "ok", and he is learning rules are there for a reason. He still is not big enough to "take me" yet. He will have to get up earlier in the morning to pull one over on me like he thinks he can. Sometimes I have to whip out my police moves to prove to him that I am still a pretty good cop. Thank goodness the kid only weighs 110 pounds maybe soaking wet! And I am still half way quick on my feet. Thank goodness he doesn't REALLY want to challenge me, that could get ugly. He is a lot of talk and not a lot of go, but I have fun with him. We believe he wants to stay with us at least the rest of this school year. I am going to start teaching him "parent taught" drivers ed so he can get his license as soon as possible. We have him settling down to a routine and even though the kid can eat me out of house and home, and talk the bark off a tree, I so enjoy having him in our life. His dad just got out of prison yesterday and he is nervous about that, his mother gets out Jan 11th and that will be a very tough day for him, but we will get through it.
Christmas saw all of my family together under one roof. My parents were so happy that all their kids, grandkids and great grandkids were able to share the holiday together. This is the first time in many many years for it to occur since they are spread out all across the country. Yes, this has been a pretty darn good year.
So as I close this last posting of the year, I don't know if I will write much in 2011. I have been blessed that my photography has been super busy and I need to start me a web page. (uh...help!) I enjoy writing, and I enjoy my blogger friends, but now face book has taken over since it is much quicker and easier. come on Marge, get on the bandwagon here would you? I want to say Happy New Year's to all my family and friends, those of you that I read about everyday, or talk to once in a blue moon. I loved meeting Marge and would love to find a way to meet all my blogger friends. I am truly blessed to have good friends, a wonderful life, and blessings beyond measure. May we continue this relationship in 2011.

4 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Well I sure feel all caught up! Many Blessings to you all in 2011. And give Todd a hug for me;)

claudia said...

It's good to see you! I am glad that everything turned out well for you in 2010 and I hope that 2011 brings a lot more happiness to you and your family. Don't be such a stranger though. We need to keep up with each other. I miss you when you don't post!
I will also try to get on FaceBook more often. I get all turned around on there though.
Happy New Year my friend!

Paxie said...

Wow. You did a fantastic job of putting a whole year into a blog post! I couldn't have done it LOL

You know I love ya and I wish everything good for you in the new year and I'm thrilled the photography is becoming such a busy part of your life. I was here when it started!!

See you on FB my dear :) xoxoxox

Marge said...

I don't believe it! I had about given up on you! Seriously, I am glad your year seems to have turned out okay. Todd seems to be doing well, which is a tribute to the parenting skills of you two! I'm proud of him! And as far as the FB thing.......I just don't need more time on the computer! I read too many blogs, and keep in touch with so many this way that I don't feel the need to do another thing. All that butt time isn't good for old ladies like me!

I assume you have read that we're in Alaska until the 11th. Heading on the ferry over to Seldovia this morning. It's so great to see Chris and Amy!

Love you dearly,my friend!